Sunday, February 25, 2007

February 25- More observations from Todd

Yesterday at the end of our meeting with the guides I talked to a nice fellow in our group about mindless stuff. One of the things that he mentioned is that when you leave this island (our hotel is on Shamian Island) things will be different. Well this piqued my interest because Josh and I wanted to venture out into Guangzhou proper and see real life.

**Keep in mind that I am not being negative here, I am just making observations that stand out.**

-Well, he was right. When you leave the island (just a short walk) things start changing fast. You will be stared at like you are an alien with 4 heads.

-What you and I call pets they call food.

-I would bet that the places of business here have never had a health inspector visit.

-McDonald’s here in Guangzhou is great.

-There has not been one internet site that has been blocked for me. I think staying in this “American friendly” hotel might have something to do with it.

-The men here love to play mahjong. I was invited to play yesterday with a group of men on the mainland who could not speak a lick of English.

-Men and women have their hacky sacks and are amazing with them.

-The island that we are on is American friendly and the people here are very eager for your business.

-On the mainland Josh and I saw a cute cat running for his life with several adults right on his tail. Pet? Food? Who knows.

-Josh and I saw an overweight dachshund walking around amidst the market area. Lucky chap.

-Young Chinese people want to practice their English on you. The older ones are kind but curious.

If anyone has any questions we will do whatever to answer them. It doesn't matter what kind of question it is, ask it.

More to come…

Comments

I am glad to hear all is well! We miss you and I hope you don't eat to many stange things there. I'm glad you didn't take Bandit with you. HA!HA!
Posted by: casey on February 24, 2007 at 06:41 P.M.

Hey Todd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I forgot to tell you, be VERY VERY VERY weery of "pets". No Rabies vac required in China. Peace-out, Sals
Posted by: Sally on February 24, 2007 at 08:21 P.M.

You forgot my favorite part: We walked down the narrow, stone alley and saw a huge, dead rat on a pile of grain and stones. I jumped when I saw that fat thing.
Posted by: Big Brother on February 24, 2007 at 10:05 P.M.

No comments: