Saturday, January 13, 2007

January 13- A package for Elizabeth



Many orphanages in China will allow you to send a care package to your child. Elizabeth's orphanage happens to be one of them. On Thursday, we mailed her a package with a blanket, a teddy bear, a picture album and a disposable camera. We could only send a package the size of a shoe box so it was kind of hard to squish everything in there!!
Todd and I had been sleeping with the teddy bear for a while and Joshua, Todd and I all slept with her blanket. Why? We want her to hopefully be a little familiar with our scent. Not only will we look different to her (I mean, we won't have dark hair or dark eyes- how strange to her!!), but we will smell different, too. Hopefully the blanket and the teddy bear will have some of our scent on them.
The disposable camera is for the orphanage workers to take pictures of Elizabeth as well as pictures of the orphanage. I would love for us to have more of a glimpse into her world in the orphanage, the only place she's known as "home" so far in her life.
Also included is a photo album. It's plastic so children can chew on it if they want to and very colorful to catch the eye of little ones. We included pictures of all three of us so hopefully one of the workers in the orphanage can show her the pictures of us and explain to her who we are.
I do not know whether or not she will see these things nor do I know if we will receive them back. Please pray that these things get to her and that we get them back- especially the camera. The blanket and teddy bear I would love to get back, but I also know that these could also bring another child comfort.

Comments
I was just able to get to your site, and I am just thrilled for you all! She is absolutely beautiful. I believe she is one of the luckiest children ever to be the one God has entrusted to you. I know she will be raised to be a woman of faith and an honor to your family and the Lord. We just can't wait to meet her and let her play with our girls. God bless you all! Much love, Lisa
Posted by: lisa hoffman on January 15, 2007 at 07:36 A.M.
Todd, Sherry, Joshua, we just got to browse your journal and like Lisa said I am so happy for you guys! It looks like things are coming together for this adoption which you all have planned, prayed, and hoped for. Your family deserves a victory and I am praying for this vicotry to come SOON! Elizabeth is so terribly blessed to have such a family! Looking forward to meeting her in person ~ Eric Hoffman
Posted by: Eric Hoffman on January 15, 2007 at 07:52 A.M.
Did you use a company to send your care package, or were you able to do it on your own. I am planning to send a package if possible when we get our referral, so I'd love to know more! I hope the items you sent help ease the transition for your little one!
Posted by: Jen on January 15, 2007 at 07:55 P.M.
Hi Jen!We used the regular old USPS to mail our package. It was around $15 for 4-6 day shipping- which surprised me. I was sure it would be MUCH more!!His,Shari
Posted by: Shari Upchurch on January 15, 2007 at 08:32 P.M.
Shari,Thanks for the info. That sounds like quite a deal! WOW!-Jenwww.ourjourneytoemma.blogspot.com
Posted by: Jen on January 19, 2007 at 08:20 P.M.

No comments: