Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May 29- Big Brother Is Going Back well.. eventually












What can I say? So much has changed since we have arrived home. Elizabeth has grown into a sweet, one-year old baby. I’m so excited that she is getting the hang of walking, but hasn’t abandoned crawling. Sometimes, I wish we were back in the hotel with her on the bed playing with her cups. We are all very protective of her and will always be there for her. It won’t be long before she is always walking and talking. Then I will wonder where the time went. Oh yeah, I left it back in China. Overnight she is going to grow up on us even though I wish she wouldn’t. I love to come home from work and see her smile and laugh. I love having her give me kisses on the cheek. Surely there are no sweeter kisses than that of a baby who loves and trusts you.

Now that we are back in America, I see some of the differences from here and China. All humans are focused on looks, but Americans are terrible about it. Elizabeth is a very cute child with a great personality; but Americans cannot help but stop us ALL the time and gaze. They are spellbound by her looks. We all desire to tell these people that looks aren’t everything. It’s what’s on the inside that counts. We don’t want her to have a big head when she grows up thinking she walked out of a magazine. We want her to become a follower of Christ and be a godly lady. I wish Americans could see that the heart is more important than the outside appearance (1 Samuel 16:7). We pray that her heart will be in strong in the Lord’s values and not in the world’s values.

It’s really funny, but when I came back to the States my claim to fame was eating the Frog Cream (AKA Frog Jelly). Adoption friends, church members, family, and co-workers were in disbelief that I did such a thing. I understand Anthony Bourdain. He made this statement: “I’m a chef, restaurant owner, published author, world traveler, but no, people only remember me for eating a cobra heart.” I understand him because I’m remembered for the Frog Jelly, even though I’m not a chef, published author, nor restaurant owner. I guess the Frog Jelly is my only claim to fame. That is why I have provided the actual video for you.




Homesick isn’t the right word. I miss China like I have a home there. It’s almost as if my house was in the White Swan and Shamian Island was my home away from home. Both of my parents and myself long to go back to China at least one more time: specifically Guangzhou. It really does feel like we have left our “book” of China incomplete. It feels like we have one more chapter to read, or go through. We believe that if we can go back one more time, it may satisfy our longing. I have promised myself- that Lord willing- I will go back before I die. China left an amazing, unexplainable impression on me. What was it that stole my heart? I have no idea. It must have been Elizabeth, the group, the experience, the local friends we made, the challenges, the scenery, and our developing daily routine. I secretly fear that nothing will be the same when I return and I will be disappointed. But, I thrive on the hope that my China journeys will be complete if I can go back at least one more time.

No comments: